Apply for an air operating permit
A business must turn in an air operating permit application 12 months before it has the potential to emit:
Even if a business emits less than these amounts, EPA may decide that it still needs an air operating permit.
- More than 100 tons per year of any air pollutant.
- More than 10 tons per year of any hazardous air pollutant.
- More than 25 tons per year of a combination of hazardous air pollutants.
The federal rules that might apply include:
A permit is valid for five years. A business must apply for renewal 6 – 18 months before the current permit expires.
Agencies that issue air operating permits
Agencies that issue air operating permits include:
- Ecology Air Quality Program in Central Regional Office
- Ecology Air Quality Program in Eastern Regional Office
- Ecology Industrial Section — aluminum smelters and pulp and paper mills
- Ecology Nuclear Waste Program — Hanford
- Energy Facility Site Evaluation Council (EFSEC) — stationary thermal power plants with generating capacity of 350,000 kilowatts or more
- EPA — tribal lands
- Local clean air agencies
Twice a month, we publish a Permit Register that lists milestones for air operating permits.
Draft permits and public comment opportunities
To check for a public comment period and review a draft permit:
Budget and fees
Every two years, we prepare a workload model and a budget projection. The projection evaluates the cost of reviewing and tracking air operating permits. When the draft workload analysis and budget have been published, we announce a public comment period in the Permit Register. After the public comment period, we finalize the workload analysis and budget.
Public comment period open
The Air Operating Permit Workload Analysis and Budget for fiscal years 2020 and 2021 is open for public comment. If you need this document in an alternative format, please contact
At the end of each fiscal year (July 1 – June 30), we prepare an annual report summarizing air operating permit program work and fees.
We publish the current fiscal year’s fee schedule every year by October 31.